I have a MA in Counselling Psychology from the Adler School of Professional Psychology. I offer individual sessions and group therapy. I am certified to practice through the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association and the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors and hold both a CCC and RCC from these organizations. I adhere to the code of ethics of my professional associations, and carry full professional liability insurance.
I also have a MFA in Photography and Integrated Media from the California Institute of the Arts.
My Approach to Counselling
I use different modalities and interventions, depending upon individual need. Inspiring and informing my work are Carl Rogers and Alfred Alder from the humanistic schools, and Solution Focused Therapy from the brief therapy model. I am increasingly interested in Accelerated Experiential-Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP) and Existential Analysis. I also use Phototherapy and art in various forms to support clients.
Client safety, confidentiality, and professional ethics are essential to a counselling relationship. I strive to provide counselling experiences that are positive, beneficial, useful and safe. While painful and difficult emotions can emerge through counselling, I also respectfully incorporate lightness and humor into my work.
- To provide an empathetic, safe & respectful environment
- To help you access your own insight
- To encourage you to act on the self-identified change that you desire
- To strategize how to make change happen
- To witness your experiences
- To advocate for your future sense of happiness and fulfillment
- To support you through your personal process
- To foster your capacity to work through issues with increased independence
- To uncover unproductive patterns of behaviour
- To inspire you in the transformation of your life
Monique Silverman, MA, RCC, CCC